NINE QUESTIONS TO HIGH END RETOUCHER PRATIK NAIK
1. What was the most challenging and inspiring job you worked on so far?
I wouldn’t be able to able to pinpoint it to just one job. Each day seems to bring new challenges and inspiring jobs that rival any previous jobs. The beauty is being able to tackle each challenge and find solutions for them. Sometimes it could be issues where I would have to find new ways to composite an object where previous methods fell short, or it could be technical issues that arise that face deadlines. I’m blessed to be able to work on inspiring images regularly!
2. How does the collaboration with photographers look like? Are you often present during the shooting or do you get ready images for postproduction with guidelines of what the photographer wants to achieve?
3. Do photographers consult with you their vision and ask about the way of enhancing images or is it mostly executing their ideas?
Photographer: Lara Jade
4. When you send files back to the client, do you send a few propositions of the retouch or is it usually just one image?
5. In your opinion, how is it different to retouch portrait photographs compared to fashion photographs?
6. What are the most important factors to consider when retouching commercial or fashion photographs?
Photography: Bill Jones Photography Studios
Model: Angelina Starr Bordeaux @ CW Management, MUSE NYC
7. What do you consider to not overdo images (ex. Blurry skin)?
8. What is one thing you would advise to emerging retouchers?
Retouching is not about retouching, it’s about business and marketing. In this industry, it’s critical to stand out as a businessman and being seen. Good work is not enough and you will need more to sustain yourself. You are more than an artist in this day and age. Never give up because the best keep on pushing.
9. What is the next goal of Pratik Naik? What should I wish you?
Photographer: Anushka Menon
See a video, in which Pratik explains basic ideas of retouching portraits and how to create stunning black and white photos.